Recipe by The FruitGuys’ Julie Collins
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 4¼ cups water
- 4 teaspoons loose orange pekoe tea
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled, and cut in half
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Combine all ingredients except basil with water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Return to a boil, add basil, then remove from heat and steep, covered, for 5 more minutes.
- Strain into teacups and serve (or chill and serve cold over ice).
Serves 4–6. Prep time, 15 minutes; cook time, 15 minutes.
Cook’s note: If you prefer a caffeine-free option, omit the pekoe tea. Pouring boiling water over Opal Basil turns the water a dazzling bright blue, and it’s equally delicious!